Friday, February 25, 2011

Rest

2 Corinthians 9:7
Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

I've been learning, over the past few months, that I absolutely need to take care of myself before I can take care of anyone or anything else.  I used to do it backwards.  I would make sure everyone else was happy and then I'd have a breakdown because I was exhausted and never got to do I needed to for myself.  It seemed very selfish to me to consider what I needed before I went out of my way for everyone else.

But now I understand that not taking care of my own needs first is like not giving my car gas and expecting it to take me on a nice long road trip.  It's not selfish to make sure you get enough rest, food and time with God BEFORE you go volunteer at your favorite charity (or hang out with friends or take care of your granny).  Quality is better than quantity in the case of service and doing for others.  In other words, you may not get to do as much for others as you would like because you have to put your God, your self and your family before anyone else.  But when you do get to serve, you will be able to put your heart into it because you are well fueled and not serving because you feel obligated or you feel guilty if you don't.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, exactly!!! So glad we get to be figuring out how to take care of ourselves :)

    ReplyDelete